Monday, January 26, 2015

Maker busy

Old workspace
It always happens. I lay down to sleep and right when I get all cozy I get a thought in my head that I cant get out. "That would be cool..." That is how it starts. Next thing I know is I am up and at my workstation sketching out and cutting materials to figure out how I build this object. It is a blessing and a curse. I'm one of those people that is most comfortable making things. Whenever I have some downtime I am always fiddling with something to keep busy. There is such a satisfying feeling walking out of the wood shop at four in the morning covered in sawdust. I suppose working with high revolution sharp metal isn't the wisest thing to do when you should be asleep.

I digress. Designing and making objects It is high addictive. I guess it is the equivalent to playing video games and trying to get to the next level. There is somethings so fulfilling and deeply meditative once you immerse yourself in a craft. You don't even realize how quickly time has passed. It is an instant gratification kind of thing. You get instant feedback if something is working out or if the item you're making matches what you have designed. Making stuff does not just limit itself to objects, but also everyday tasks like cooking and other things I cant think of at the moment because I am too sleepy. The second best thing about making something are the screw-ups. I know that sounds weird to say, but a screw-up is a direct result of what you did. Its better to have a result of something you made rather than no result because you didn't try. Studio professors always tell us, "The worst thing you can do is nothing at all."and "the more you have, the more we can discuss." Of course the best thing is when you have a finished, tangible object that you put in so much love and time. Something that has gone on a journey with you and has turned into a quality object with a great story. I guess at the end of the day we are all out to surround ourselves with the stories we made.

For now, I will take a little rest. I hope everyone has an eventful Monday and gets to work-in some time to do something that brings you joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment